3 Main Problems When You Apply PR for Spouse

1. Low Approval Rates

With a declining approval rate, PR hopefuls are in dire need to impress with their best abilities. When you are not given an interview opportunity to prove your potential, how are you going to attain one of those coveted approvals?

2. Undisclosed Selection Criteria

Applying for PR does not come with any official methodology, making it difficult to tell what is truly needed. Without much to work on, how will you ensure that your application is up to mark and avoid facing rejection?

3. Tedious Documentation Process

Even the best candidate might fail to collate all required paperwork given the pressure. Knowing that the probability of getting a rejection is higher, how will you acquire the full set of documentation without any costly errors?

Client Reviews

Should You Apply PR for Spouse?

Long-distance relationships are tough, especially after marriage. With different time zones, it’s difficult to find that rare sliver of time when both you and your partner can share your worries, have a laugh, or just look at each other. After a long period and a lot of plane tickets later, you start wondering if your spouse should live with you.

If you fit Singapore PR eligibility criteria and are thinking of making this island city-state your home for the long haul, here are some reasons why your significant other should become a Singapore Permanent Resident.



1. Apply PR for Spouse for Subsidised Hospital and Medical Bills

As a local or Permanent Resident, medical and hospital bills are subsidised by a mandatory nationwide savings scheme called MediShield Life. Permanent Residents will then be covered in case of any medical emergency with subsidies of up to 55% on hospital bills. Foreigners have to rely on their company’s medical insurance and their own wallets to cover their medical expenses.

Aside from hospitals, the government also provides subsidised healthcare via public clinics known as PolyClinics.


2. More Affordable Housing Options When You Apply PR for Spouse

The government has put in measures to ensure that locals and PRs have access to more affordable housing options. Unlike foreigners, you will be allowed to purchase public housing, also known as HDB flats, and new executive condominiums. To add to that, you will also benefit from government grants to help make the island nation your home.

Foreigners, however, face much higher costs when it comes to living in Singapore. Albeit being able to purchase executive condominiums, the unit has to be at least 10 years old before it is available to a foreigner to purchase. The next best option would be private properties or rental. Foreigners also have to pay a higher Buyer’s Stamp Duty of 15%, whereas PRs and Singaporeans only pay 5%. All of this adds up — not to mention, legal fees, registration fees, or even realtor fees.


3. Wider Job Opportunities When You Apply PR for Spouse

There are plenty of foreigners working in this busy city-state. However, applying for a job in the city-state as a foreigner can be a headache, not to mention, risky. Foreigners have to apply for a Singapore Work Permit, a Letter of Consent (LOC) and have a secured job position before being accepted in the role. This process takes place every time a foreigner would like to change their job as well. If they are rejected, they will no longer be allowed to reside in the country until they manage to obtain another role.

Receiving permanent residency will allow them to find more jobs in the country in companies willing to recruit only Singaporeans or PRs because of less paperwork and an easier hiring process. Looking for a job is already a demanding affair. With Permanent Residency, you can avoid certain bumps in the road.


4. Say Goodbye to the Hassle of LTVP When You Apply PR for Spouse

One of the reasons people apply for the Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) is because they want to bridge the distance between them and their spouse. However, the application for an LTVP is a tiresome one. Every two years, six months before the validity of your LTVP expires, you are required to manually reapply with the right documents to renew the pass.

Moreover, it is not always guaranteed that your reapplication will be a success. As the government looks to refresh criteria whenever possible, every reapplication will depend on the latest criteria, and success depends on whether your documentation is up to par.

Having your reapplication for an LTVP rejected can be upsetting, particularly if you have come to love the Little Red Dot as your home.

How We Can Help Apply PR for Spouse

Insider Knowledge
Insider Knowledge

Experience is the gateway to a wealth of knowledge. Equipped with both experience and comprehensive insider knowledge about this industry, our specialists have a deeper understanding about the process during submission of profiles.

Document Experts
Document Experts

The amount of documents required for Singapore PR can be overwhelming. Specialists at Paul Immigrations are committed to guiding you towards completing your PR application. With conscientiousness and care, specialists will make certain that all necessary documents have been submitted correctly.

Strength Focused
Strength Focused

Your profile should reflect your best achievements. Paul Immigrations specialists will personalise your profile. They have an eye for detail in calling attention to special skills, experience, and anything else that will ensure you are a cut above the rest.

Frequently Asked Questions

The right scheme may depend on the type of pass you are holding. Your significant other can apply as a dependant under the PTS Scheme if you are holding an EP, PEP, EntrePass, or S Pass. Alternatively, they may do so on their own with the same passes.

If you are a Citizen or PR, under the Family Scheme, they are eligible to apply for Singapore PR.

Your significant other may be eligible for permanent residency via the Global Investor Programme (GIP). 

It depends on the scheme. The significant other of a PR, Citizen, or holder of an EP, PEP, EntrePass, or S Pass may apply as a dependant without a job. However, gaining employment can increase their chances.

These are documents you will need, depending on the scheme:

  • NRIC
  • Official Marriage Certificate
  • Death or divorce certificate of former spouse for children from previous marriages
  • Custody papers of their children from previous marriages
  • Highest educational certificates
  • Valid Business Registration Certificate (if you are self-employed)
  • Occupational license (if you are self-employed)
  • IRAS consent letter
  • CPF consent letter
  • Payslips for the last six months
  • Unless they are self-employed, an employer’s letter, dated within a month of the PR application and addressed to the Controller of Immigration.

Our specialists will be able to assist you with compiling them, making sure nothing is left out.

The approximate approval for the application will take about four to six months.

Yes, if they have a pass to work or a valid visa.

The best time to apply is now. Delaying any further will directly affect your chances due to rising competition and tightening restrictions.

Calculate Your PR Chances Now*

No RelationshipHusband/WifeUnmarried ChildAged Parent
You agree to our website privacy policy by submitting the form.
*Actual success may vary, based on the individual's qualifications. Paul Immigrations Pte Ltd cannot guarantee that the Singapore authorities will agree with our Consultant's assessment.